HybridZ

AZC vs McKinney/Megan Coilovers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are the koni part# I have still correct.

John if I get the double adjustable koni's can I back the rebound off

Far enough for light springs?

250 lb. in. is the lower limit for the 8610s. They will probably work fine at the softest rebound setting. The 8611s are probably just bit too stiff in rebound but not enough to cause the problems I described above. An alternative are the Tokico HTS/D-Spec shocks with are adjustable, have digressive valving, and work well with spring rates in the 200 to 350 range. The specific application is HTS102F which has 5" of total travel. A few people here ahve been racing with the HTS shocks and are pretty happy with them. The better HTS (HTS112F) is NLA from Tokico.

• 2 weeks later...

500# springs aren't that stiff on these cars with the right strut and the right suspension. When I was in Watkins Glen last year, I put about 200 street miles on the car and had several passengers in the vehicle as we were allowed to drive through the streets and countryside. Nobody complained about the ride and all were shocked when I told them the spring rates. That said, my car does have full subframe connectors and a 14 point rollcage.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Ok how about we throw this in the mix. McKinney or techno toy tuning. https://technotoytun...z-260z-and-280z

And why?

Techno toy coilovers would be the same as the ground control kit with tokico illumina shocks. Only difference is T3 does the sectioning and welding for you, which isnt a bad deal. With coilovers it really comes down to which shocks you want to run. As I mentioned already, for a street Z which wont see much track time and has coilovers mostly for tire fitment and stance it wont really matter which kit you go with. If you are serious about your racing high dollar shocks should be a top priority so I would lean towards tokico HTS shocks or Konis.

By the way I've recently read about Feal suspension (http://odib.web.officelive.com/Services.aspx). Apparently they specialize in rebuilding/revalving Megan, Stance, etc. coilovers for much better performance. Prices arent too bad too. I plan to them my shocks in a year or 2.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get Arizona Zcar coilovers

I deisgned the whole s13 megan thing with affordability in mind. I bought used coilovers for $500 and made the adaptors myself.

Now its

megans $1000-1200

Adaptors $300

New springs to suit the zed $1-200

Edited by 240zdan

• 2 weeks later...

I have a dumb question maybe you guys can help me with since I have been going back and forth over which coilovers I should get.  Part of me says to go with McKinney since they are easier to adjust but then I am reading they are low quality parts.  AZC is harder to adjust and the shocks are unknown.

I am not much of a mechanic but I do want my car lower with some performance.  Can the McKinney struts be changed to something better?  Is it a lot of work to adjust the height with the AZC coilovers?  Are there any places that will put together coilovers according to customer requests for a decent price?

I have a dumb question maybe you guys can help me with since I have been going back and forth over which coilovers I should get.  Part of me says to go with McKinney since they are easier to adjust but then I am reading they are low quality parts.  AZC is harder to adjust and the shocks are unknown.

I am not much of a mechanic but I do want my car lower with some performance.  Can the McKinney struts be changed to something better?  Is it a lot of work to adjust the height with the AZC coilovers?  Are there any places that will put together coilovers according to customer requests for a decent price?

you can always get them rebuilt, upgrade the springs to better ones etc

http://rallyracingsuspension.com/page12.html

a friend of mine showed me a site where a guy rebuilt his, but he had a shop.

Of course though this all adds up the cost. All my prior cars have ran japanese style coilovers, so I like the idea of ride height and spring load adjustment being separate. My rx7 has megan coilovers, well they came with the car, my 240sx I went with nothing but Tein (I trust japanese companies more than chinese) , so the megans I am not too crazy about, but they do the job good for a street car with performance street driving. 

It is nice to be able to lift the car up and have the wheels static height go up with it (sorry i know this isn't a Z, my old s13) https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/165318_485695163556_2466790_n.jpg

Edited by Hypertek

/soapbox on

If you're not much of a mechanic why are you building adjustability in your suspension?  Do you you know why to make an adjustment? Are you really going to adjust it that often?  The AZC shocks are orders of magnitude better then Megans and since shocks are probably the most important part of any car's suspension and handling, to me the choice is obvious.  But, if you're just building something for the "automotive lifestyle" and appearance is your only concern, go with the cheap stuff.

/soapbox off

Sorry to be harsh but I see so many people go down the mod path without any idea where they want to be on that path.  Most end up changing a car they love into something they hate and then sell it for pennies on the dollar.

Has anyone actually dynoed a set of AZC shocks? I'd be curious to see what the results were, how uniform a set turned out to be, especially in comparison to a Megan or similar S13 shocks that are so widely disparaged. They look like every other cheap ass Chinese set of S13 shocks on the market to me.

Are there any places that will put together coilovers according to customer requests for a decent price?

A "decent price" is always relative to what you're asking about. For what you're asking, a decent price would be at least $3-4k for a properly-built custom coilover setup.

I'm sure johnc can quote you a price.

Tein is start selling s30 coilover

Specialized Damper for NISSAN FAIRLADY Z (S30) Just Completed!

*Thread-Type Ride Height Adjustment
*Twin-Tube Structure
*16-level Damping Force Adjustment (Comp./Rebound Simultaneously)
*Includes upper mounts
*Spring Rate: Front 6.0k / Rear 6.0k
*Estimated Price (excl. tax): JPY261,000

934610_578658208840691_2105520164_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=578658208840691&set=a.115105828529267.7232.115062595200257&type=1&theater

In the Miata world, Tein > Megan, so that may be an improvement. Still, if you read DG's page, they're all crap:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

The question is, how good does it need to be for your usage? If you just want to lower the car the Megans are probably fine. If you're looking to race (and win) shocks is likely to be a big part of the budget.

Edited by JMortensen

Ouch too bad the cost is almost 3K for TEIN.  While TEIN is good for daily usage, I don't think they fair very well for track use.  I remember talking to some of the older guys with newer Z's out at the road course saying they were too soft.