HybridZ

this heat and working on cars

David K

Sunday, Streets of Willow. 117 degrees with a 15 mph wind. Me wearing a black three layer SFI driving suit, Nomex underwear, helmet, gloves, shoes, and racing 9 other guys in identical Toyota Pro Celebrity Celicas in a 30 lap race.

Monday, Willow Springs (Big Track). 105 degrees with a 25 mph wind. Me again wearing a black three layer SFI driving suit, Nomex underwear, helmet, gloves, shoes, and racing 4 other guys in identical Toyota Pro Celebrity Celicas in a 20 lap race.

Tuesday, La Habra. 91 degrees and no wind. Me, sitting in my air conditioned shop office thinking about going into the shop and welding some patch panels on a 240Z.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

117 is crazy. I hope you have a cool suit setup. I was out once at THill at 114 in jeans and a long sleeve shirt and I swore I'd never do it again. I think I had heat stroke when I got out of the car. Dizzy, felt like puking, and on top of that my exhaust hangers melted and I got the meatball flag, it was not a good time. Out of curiosity, what did you think of the Celicas?

I was going to get a cool suit but was talked out of it by a pro who ran one. He said that when they work, they are great, but when you run out of the coolant the suit actually makes you hotter. I just stuck with my old routine of puring ice water down the front and back of the suit. I was getting hot, tired, and sloppy at the end of the race sessions so I slowed down a bit. Came in 3rd at Streets (I hate that track) and won at the Big Track.

The Celicas are basically an ITA/ITB FWD car with pretty safe suspension tuning running on street performance tires. Spring rates are double the factory numbers, KYB shocks, 225/40-17 Bridgestone S03s on 7.5" wide rims. 190 hp and 2,400 lbs. Mid 1:40s at WSIR. They are safe, predictable, and reliable. Not super entertaining to drive but they reward a smooth technique and discourage sloppiness. Pretty much a perfect school car.

My son and I spent three hours in the driveway Sunday afternoon putting an alternator in his 280ZX. Had big jugs of ice water, a fan, and a live oak tree and and 11' umbrella to work under and it was still pretty miserable at 102° & 50%. Mostly I just hole up in weather like this. It's got me looking hard at relocating north. So far I have possibilities in Mass., Wisconsin & Oregon.

Its pretty nice at 82* today. Too bad i let the lady take the truck or else i would be over at the garage working on the cars. Im always damned if i do, damned if i dont. I plan on getting some car work done tommorow, watch it be 90+ again argggg.

Boy do I have to lucky, even compared to the CA guys. I'm on the coast so 90 is roasting for me. My room has no insulation and the window has been closed up all day and it's 82 in here. Weather.com says it's 77 here...

...so i open the window... nice coooool breeze.

I'm sorry guys, but I guess someone has to live here to deal with all this missouri :D

Move to CA, and get close enough to see water, and you'll be able to work on you car all the time, and then get pulled over every weekend the car's running...

I was going to get a cool suit but was talked out of it by a pro who ran one. He said that when they work' date=' they are great, but when you run out of the coolant the suit actually makes you hotter. I just stuck with my old routine of puring ice water down the front and back of the suit. I was getting hot, tired, and sloppy at the end of the race sessions so I slowed down a bit. Came in 3rd at Streets (I hate that track) and won at the Big Track.

The Celicas are basically an ITA/ITB FWD car with pretty safe suspension tuning running on street performance tires. Spring rates are double the factory numbers, KYB shocks, 225/40-17 Bridgestone S03s on 7.5" wide rims. 190 hp and 2,400 lbs. Mid 1:40s at WSIR. They are safe, predictable, and reliable. Not super entertaining to drive but they reward a smooth technique and discourage sloppiness. Pretty much a perfect school car.[/quote']

Block ice is the key to keep them going. The ALMS team I recently worked for again uses them to much success. They are each doing roughly 90 minute sessions during the race too. I'm pretty sure they use the "FAST Cool Suit Pro Kit FA-213."

I know how you feel about the heat. Not that I was driving, but sitting in a 2 layer black Nomex suit with a Nomex balaclava, pumping fuel into the fuel rigs was no fun at Miller Motorsports park while 115 degrees trackside.

http://ac-world.com/SplitAir.php

http://www.airconditioner.com/MINI_SPLITS.asp

Here are the perfect units for the garage. No cutting big holes' date=' they are quiet and they work well. I bought the Hitachi 9000 BTU heat pump unit for a ~ 22 X 22 garage. I have an insulated Clopay door and insulated the walls.

Jody[/quote']definitely going to be looking into those, even if not until next summer.

here in central valley in komifornia its been hot.but i was at lake of the ozarks in missouri last summer and the last day was 97 with 95% humidity.i was thinking about moving there until that day.its been about 100 in the shop were i work.not much work on my z after work on fords all day.but i got some valve guides pressed in tonight.

It is supposed to get all the way up to 72 degrees here today. I might have to pack my nuts in dry ice to try to make it through... :lol:

Sorry guys' date=' had to. I think it was one of you Texan bastards who was telling me about your 75 degrees when it was 28 degrees here last winter... :lol:[/quote'] I don't think that was me, but it was 107 today, but in the winter when its 65ish, thats when I say "this is why I moved from Maine" Oh I know cold my friend, or at least I knew it at one time 16 years ago.:arrow: I still have my snow ski's:icon47:

I don't think that was me, but it was 107 today, but in the winter when its 65ish, thats when I say "this is why I moved from Maine" Oh I know cold my friend, or at least I knew it at one time 16 years ago.:arrow: I still have my snow ski's:icon47:

yeah it was 107 but yesterday was a chillier 104 they are expecting a frigid 95 hopefully this Saturday.:flamedevi

Its in the mid to upper 90s here in atlanta and I have been spending about 12 hours a day in the garage with a 400 degree oven powdercoating. I can't put a window unit in because of association rules, and I need to keep the doors closed to keep powder residue from getting on the cars.

I'm in the same boat with ya..... :(

Freakin hot I say.. way hot.

I try to do most of the shooting at night.... unless the humidity is getting up there...

It's 104 here today and I haven't been near the 117* uninsulated garage. When I get the Z31 out I intend to insulate it and hang sheetrock. It may sound strange but, I've been shopping around for a used Thermo King off the front of a referigerated trailer. They're desiel powered, and will drop and hold the temp at -20 (+/-3*) even in this heat. Not only that they will heat when its cold. Of course first I gotta get the car out of the garage...

yeah it was 107 but yesterday was a chillier 104 they are expecting a frigid 95 hopefully this Saturday.:flamedevi

I hit the garage last night to work on my stub axles (I stupidly pulled the struts off the car already). It took about 5 minutes for me to sweat through my shirt. Still, I'd rather this kind of heat than any kind of cold. Cold to this Texan is temperatures below about 60F. Bring on the sun! :flamedevi :flamedevi :flamedevi

California is definately running the Hot end of the envelope these past several weeks. I compromised on a solution to the problem. I decided one day in a fit of heat and confusion to tear down my engine and do a weekend rebuild. As luck would have it the temps had already started to rise and 104 plus was not something that I wanted to work in. So, I start early about 5 am and worked until around 10 am when the temps were beginning to hit the 90's. Knocked off until later that night and started up around 9am when the temps were back in the high 70's. Pulled an all nighter and finished up both the top and bottom ends by 8 the next morning. If you don't mind working throught the night its quiet and the temps were mild. Actually, sometimes I find that to be the best time to work on my car. I guess I'm a bit of a Night Owl. Anyway, thats the way I work around the heat problem.

VAN

Its way hotter where Van is. Ive been waiting for this heat to die down to do the GM alternator conversion on my 280zx, and install shocks on the Expedition. By the time this heat dies down, the ford 302 mounts will be ready and this alternator will be useless to me :D But that may be a good thing.