HybridZ

Aerodyn wind tunnel results!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOO MUCH for the BRE Style spoiler.

You mean the BRE style front spook? I had one of those on my car until just recently, and it always bothered me that it didn't extend all the way to cover the fronts of the wheels. It hasn't ever run well enough to really push it and see a difference, but I'm now getting that under control, so I may get to see if my new fascia does any good soon. I definitely discovered that you don't need much of an opening at all to maintain proper cooling. I've only got about a 3" X 14" opening now, and the only difference I've noticed is that the car reaches operating temperature faster, but never gets hotter than the thermostat temp. I'm dying to see pictures of what you guys had going on between the radiator and the fascia (actually, I'm just dying to see the pictures of the different parts tested at all...the suspense is killing me!).

I've already posted a number of pics elsewhere, and will add to that over the weekend... I'll be putting the pics and the video on disc to distribute to other members who were in attendance. We'll eventually post all of the data on the site. Dan and I need to discuss that. We may do a "Sub-forum" to protect the data for some time...Similar to the Pinks sub-forum.

Mike

Thanks guys for the incredible effort! I'll try to wait patiently.

I am very curious to see the results. I have done a lot of "seat of the pants" real world testing on my own Z. I have seen some positive effects, others have appeared to be failures.

I too have mods to the car that I may be unwilling to change even if it hurts my aero. I still want the "look" that I desire, and it will ultimately be influenced, but not controlled by this aero data.

I'm in the middle of body work right now, and I'm up for a bit of "while I'm at it" sheet aluminum fabrication work. hehehe Like it will ever end?!

Any chance this will get loaded to a DVD? with video, pics, and computer useable data? I'd be willing to chip in $ to set up a complete package.

Scott.

We had 2 blows where the hood popped up. One of them it popped WAY up. I recall someone saying it improved the numbers, but I don't know if it was enough time to get stable information.

PS, I am out of town and can't really get online much until next week. I can't check numbers for any of this until next week.

That would really piss off the SCCA who would yet again have to shift the Zs into a tougher class OR add a rule outlawing aero modifications of the types we employ.

Nothing is as satisfying as being protested and having your modifications banned because it makes your old POS spank the crap out of something 30 years newer, and 30X as expensive...

We lost a Bonneville record because the former record holder was upset we broke his record by 14mph, in a "Fuel" class, running standard gasoline. The stewardt's decision is final, and we had the record pulled because we didn't have 'enough modifications or power adders to enter the class'...

Hehehehehehe....

Aerogroupphotoweb.jpg

The innocent were not present...

From left:

Austin (240hoke)

Bob SMith (Windtunnel Operator)

John Tedder (jt1)

Mark Icard (mark)

John Hines (bjhines)

Tom Harris (Tombarace)

Some drunk homelessguy off the street

Roddy Sugg

Tom Barnett (Mayolives)

Mark Ulrich

Mike (The drunk homelessguy)

I just want to say meeting Mikelly the night before was the event of my life! Real cool dude!

I am humbled by your comment, but I can tell you that the pleasure was all mine... It's good to see young guys like Yourself, Austin and Tom fully carrying the HybridZ torch... Our future is in good hands Matt!

Mike

I gotta say I had alot of fun and learned a whole lot. Glad we could do this for HybridZ, the best car fourm on the net!! By the way Mike its a good thing that homeless guy stoped cleaning your windshield, LOL!!! It was great meeting all you guys!

Sounds like the preliminary info says my Kaminari spoiler might be worth something as far as aerodynamics. It seals tightly against the radiator core. Mine is not mounted yet if you need it for the next round, it's drilled and ready to mount!!!!!

Great work guys! Maybe we can do some myth busting with engine mods under the same format. We could lease an engine dyno for a day and try different SU manifolds and headers and such and crunch the ######. I would donate to this too.

FINALLY!!!! something has come along to make me ECSTATIC that my Z is still languishing under the cover in the driveway!!! I dont HAVE to be "patient" about any of this; by the time I get around to BODYWORK.. this news will all be old hat!

TonyD, regarding your last comment.. I just got back from a one day AutoCross event with my brothers in their 240.. they are shooting for ITS class, so the car is more or less in stock form. Today's event was just a "Test and tune" day.. BUT there were lots of EVOs and WRXs out there.. and the Z turned a MUCH quicker time, with one drive wheel (open diff) than any of them could put up with FOUR drive wheels.. :mrgreen: My brother Tim (a member here, but I don't know his handle) got a REAL kick out of that.

Oh, and Mikelly.. rest assured that the Z torch will live on as long as we can keep the cancer out. My first memories are riding around with my dad in his 72 drinking chocolate milk and going "vroom vroom" on sunday Mornings when my age (only 2!!) excused me from regular church attendance... :2thumbs:

Thanks guys for your HUGE efforts. Your findings will benefit us all from now on. Cant wait to hear what the ultimate combo turns out to be. I understand that this wont be determined until after the next session so you can count on my support when the time comes.Thanks again.

John, I saw your post earlier on where you said that this image: http://forums.hybridz.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2703&d=1178037302

was -not- what you wanted to do in order to seal up the area to the radiator. Could your clarify? That picture is exactly what I thought you meant by that, so I'm confused.

I am not asking you to comment further on the effectiveness of sealing it up or specific test results from the wind tunnel, etc. Could you just point out what the difference is in your suggestion and in that picture?

Thanks,

-Forrest

Cygnus, does the splash pan you're referring to go all the way back to the suspension crossmember? I seem to recall a 76 I had having a undertray in that area. I expect there would be some benefit to it, certainly worth a try. It seems that most of the splitters you see on race cars extend well back towards the front wheels.

Forrest, I think John Hines commented on that pic, I'm the other one!!!!!:D:D:D

John