HybridZ

how many guys HAVE a CO2 extinguisher handy ?

grumpyvette

how many guys HAVE a CO2 extinguisher handy ?

how many guys HAVE a couple CO2 or chemical fire extinguishers handy, in the garage for emergency screw ups

Ive made it a practice to keep a least two, located near the doors of my garage ever since seeing the results of a buddy who managed to burn his house down due to a small engine fire that got out of hand in his garage.

hopefully they never get used........but Ive come close at times in the last 40 years.

my buddy was trying to start a car after installing a cam, and had the distrib timing 180 degrees out because he forgot to spin the enigne over one full turn before dropping in the distributor, the engine spit back and caught a small cup of gas he was using to prime the carb on fire, he dropped it and the cars engine compartment caught, if he had the presents of mind to grab a hose or a fire extinguisher at the time he might have been ok, but he tried to beat the fire out with a greasy towel, just making thing worse, things went down hill VERY rapidly after that!

IF you work on cars LONG enought, you WILL eventually do something STUPID, get into circumstances you did not see coming or work with guys that do! so having a large CO2 extinguisher handy is a great idea, and far easier to clean up after when you are forced to use them., than dry chemical extinguishers

I've got a halon bottle in the car. It's pretty small, though, and the stuff is NOT something you want to breathe in.

You can still suffocate yourself with a CO2 bottle, of course. I don't have a garage, so it's never been that big of an issue for me. If I did, I'd want one of the flightline bottles that I use.:flamedevi

halguard_wheeled_large_sm.jpg

CO2 extinguishers require periodic inspections to make sure they are fully charged. The ABC dry chemical ones are cheaper and a little more foolproof for the standard homeowner. But they are a mess to clean up and the residue is corrosive to wiring/electrical equipment.

Keeping one near each door is excellent advice.

Keeping a bucket of water handy is also very good advice.

I keep one in my working area, and usually have one in the trunk of the car as well.

Since my daily driver is a diesel, having a CO2 extinguisher around is just about the only cure for a runaway engine, so I generally just keep them, instead of having a bunch of dry-chem ones as well. That being said, they all have their purpose.

If I had more room to keep such, I'm another that would like to keep one of the flightline bottles from my work! Nothing inspires quite as much confidence as having ~75# of Halon sitting at hand with a 1.5" hose attached, ready to put out the possible results of projects gone wrong!

I have been picking up old Halon extinguishers from TV stations and Computer rooms for years.

I have 2-10lbs halon and a 6lbs halotron for the garage and trailer, I have another 6lbs that I have mounted in one car. I am going to mount one of the 10lbs in my new track car with 3 nozzels.

I also have several Soda extinguishers in the house. Kitchen, Upstairs closet, laundry room, and the garage entry door.

I have set a variety of things on fire in and around the house over the years. I have used several extinguishers to date and expect I will use several more in my life.

I buy my CO2 5lb ones from Grainger Supply, and I'm pretty sure that I saw the larger ones in there as well.

http://www.grainger.com/

As to the pricing, I couldn't tell you, but they have a lot of businesses that have discounts with them, so you might get lucky and find your employer has one. (The military branch I'm in has one that they honor for members, even if not buying for use at work.)

Edit: I went and checked the online listings, and the 10# that I found retails at ~$200.. I'm guessing that isn't what sort of a good/great price you're looking for!

I've got a bunch of 20oz co2 tanks for paintball. I've actually used parts of a paintball gun (the asa, where the bottle screws in) as a make shift extinguisher. Basically it's just a metal bit that pops the co2 open. It was an emergency situation where a friend was soldering or something, and a somehow a book fell on his soldering iron, bursting into flames. I grabbed the bottle and sprayed it out with the co2 XP

I've got a normal electrical fire extinguisher under the sink that I used to keep handy when I had an old bug though.

One in the garage, one in the 260Z, and one in the kitchen.

The Z's carb caught on fire once and the wife caught the kitchen on fire once. Nothing in the garage yet. You can't be too careful.

FYI, the fire extinguisher inspection people told me that the ones with a plastic head is not refillable. Buy with metal head.

i have an auto fire extinguisher bought from WAL MART for 10.00 . Why not? these are old cars anyways might as well have full protection against things that might happen right? I mean its only a few dollars considering how much time and money you put into your Z..... right?

Got a 20# CO2 next to the oven, along with a similarly sized Illegal to refill Halon unit.

I can't count the #5 Dry Chemical units I have everywhere else.

The location for the two biggies is because from the front yard, or the back yard, a quick spring into the house will net me the big ones...centrally located exactly between the front and back doors!

I think I have an old Soda-Water extinguisher out in the container as well...but it's just for lookin' at...