HybridZ

TABCO body parts (more to be offered???)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dog legs are the only panels I used from them. They weren't pressed evenly or squarely. In all fairness I guess after market usually is not that great when it comes to body panels. I repaired a 911 earlier this year and expected to get decent panels for that car, but I had to do a lot of adjustments on the "universal type" panel.

The lower rear quarter I ordered is not the best fit either. Good suggestion to ask that they try and perfect these pieces. Mine will work but it'll take some cutting/forming to get it right. I wasn't to surprised with the ill fit.

The tabco guy had mentioned interest in the rear deck area. We'll add that to the list though.

I'm trying to focus on things thaty are currently not made/available from other sources.

So:

Battery tray area (including tray support and firewall)

Door skins

Rear deck sill

Lower radiator cross member

Any other suggestions?

Yeah I know but they don't fit. My sarcasm didn't quite make it through.

Joe

Oh, I see! I have or I am in the process of installing rockers and doglegs. All tabco stuff. Guess I'm fat dumb and happy, I thought this was as good as it gets! Now that this has been mentioned several times, yes, I also thought the fit could have been better. I'm no body man so I didn't know what to expect.

I had a similar conversation with a Tabco guy a few days ago when I ordered a set of doglegs. He told me the rear sill pieces are in the works and should be available in a month or so. It never occurred to me that they could make firewall and battery tray and inner fender pieces for the battery area, even though I am currently trying to replace those areas in my shell.

Years ago, you could buy new rear quarter panels that ran all the way up to the area where they join to the roof. A guy was selling such a set on E-bay a few weeks ago and bidding ran into the thousands.

Asking Tabco to make floor pans and frame rails is kinda pointless since they are available already. But full replacement rear quarter panels would sure be sweet, even if they only came up to the top crease.

Hi there! I am new to this board, but like it lot already. lots of good info.

I am just in the process of installing two tabco lower front fender repair panels. good heavy guage, and look like a good fit, although one came with a stepped portion on the upper lip for ease of welding, and one didn't. A bit odd.

us 2+2 owners would surer like to see a dog leg for the rear quarters: right now i have the standard one for a 260 which i have to cut up and stretch to fit. also second the call for the battery tray area: while the firewall portion is easy (straight piece) the tubbed inner fender section is a bear to fabricate to look stock.

What about a weld-in patch for the spot weld area above the rear quarter panel windows that always rusts out?? Maybe thats a *little* ambitious...

What about a lower rocker panel, ie, below the door? Is that already available? (I don't pay too much attention to sheetmetal and whats out there...)

I wasn't happy with the tabco stuff I used. It did not fit well. Maybe they should work on perfecting the stuff they sell now!

What we get from Tabco is equal or better in quality then the Camaro/Mustang guys get. I just replaced a rear 1/4 panel, floor boards, rear window edge, and a door skin on a '68 Camaro using the best panels available new (from Canada). It was no better then replacing panels on a 240Z using Tabco parts.

John,

you make agood point, that is why I added about the porsche panels. Though the porsche panels were not exterior body, they still were a crappy fit. If you can buy anything from the original manufacturer , that is the way to go. It might be way more expensive, but it will fit right.

But full replacement rear quarter panels would sure be sweet, even if they only came up to the top crease.

Tabco once made quarters like that that came up just past the top crease. I just bought a parts car from guy who had parked it 13 years earlier and a set of those came with the deal. They have Tabco part numbers but also had a label that said they were made in Tiawan I think it was.

Steve

panel tag_thumb.JPG

left_quarter_thumb.JPG

tabco_16758-L_thumb.JPG

Anything for a 2+2. Especially doglegs and rockers.

2+2 doglegs and rockers...hell, anything rearward of the windshield!

Though, Honestly, you can make a pair of 2+2 rockers from three coupe rockers by sectioning out the center of the third piece and extending the other two...

Similarly doglegs can be done in similar fashion, but it's a bit more involved.

Anything for a 2+2. Especially doglegs and rockers.

Ya'll think there's enough of a 2+2 market for them to invest in stamping those parts?

I have an inner rear wheel well on the way. It should be here in a couple days. I want to check on fit before I call him back and tell him our requests.

Hopefully they'll listen and get some stuff stamped!!

2+2 doglegs and rockers...hell, anything rearward of the windshield!

Though, Honestly, you can make a pair of 2+2 rockers from three coupe rockers by sectioning out the center of the third piece and extending the other two...

Similarly doglegs can be done in similar fashion, but it's a bit more involved.

So your saying I can spend three times the money and six times the effort for replacement panels? Sign me up! :cry2: I know the 2+2's get a bad rap here, but I like them because they are different. You rarely see a early Z on the roads anyway, but how often do you see a 2+2? My car needs new rockers, doglegs, the works. I have zero experience welding or with major body work. Whole replacement panels would be nice, even if they cost a bit more. But not 3X more, as is the case with replacement frame rails.