HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

Brake clearance on these rims is really good. Unless your caliper protrudes WAY out from the mounting surface you should be OK. The RB design has a thick piece of casting that helps it attain it's offset, while it was made sure that the RBR would not have that piece, to save weight. So if you're really that worried about it I'd go with the RB.

I still don't understand why we have so many S13 people interested in these rims. You guys can run MUCH more postive offset than we can, giving you MANY more rim options.

thanks a bunch for the reply.

as far as the interest of s13 owners, i dont know of any other wheels that are available in 4x114 this wide, with this low of offset besides some ssr, volk and works and a few others that cost close to the amount for this set, per wheel. There are several choices for wheels that have good offset for stock guards, but are way too high offset for any of us running wider fenders. positive offset is kryptonite in the s13 world, trust me.

any s13 running wide fenders and still running 4lug hubs is in the same boat you guys are. pretty sure these things would sell like hotcakes on a 240 forum. i would love to see rota make the p45r available in these offsets in 4x114 as well, i would pick up a set of those too.

as far as getting my hands on these wheels, i tried emailing Kim but haven't gotten a response. is there any better way to get in touch with him?

Thanks,

Dorian.

Brake clearance is exceptional. I will be going to my college house this weekend and will measure the wheels in detail, maybe even cad them out. In any case, I don't think you will have an option.

It is funny you mention that these would sell like hotcakes on a 240sx forum. I tried diligently to get interest from 240sx owners... I was told that they were cheap and would break since they are Rotas. Since then I do not deal with 240sx owners.

My point about the S13 though is that these rims only have 4.5" of backspacing, where as you guys can use upwards of 6" iirc, or something much higher than us from what I've seen.

I'd be willing to be there's a lot more 240SX guys out there that'd be down for a group buy than Z guys. You should just organize your own group buy with the CORRECT offset utilizing as much inwards tire as you can to keep your geometry as close to stock as possible (aka correct).

It is funny you mention that these would sell like hotcakes on a 240sx forum. I tried diligently to get interest from 240sx owners... I was told that they were cheap and would break since they are Rotas. Since then I do not deal with 240sx owners.

thanks man.

wow, of the several 240 forums i frequent everyone is buying p45r like there is no tomoro...sorry to hear about the bad experience. but are you able to help me get a set of these despite that fact that i want to put them on a 240?:D

also, i want to apologize for badgering and asking questions in your guys's group buy thread, i just can't find any info on getting these wheels anywhere else.

im sorry, but i dont quite get what you meant by that?

thank you,

Dorian.

In my haste I quickly replied and didn't end up saying what I meant. Sloppy mistake. In any case when I said "I do not deal with 240sx owners", I didn't mean you in specific. I meant as a whole I do not advertise to them because they typically just bash the perceived quality of the wheels. I did not mean to imply in any way shape or form that I will not work with open minded 240sx'ers. I just tend to stay away form their forums as a whole. Sorry if I came off rude, I would like to think myself not "that type of person".

When I said I don't think you will have an option, what I meant was:

I don't think you will have a problem.

As in, it should clear your brakes just fine. A bit of advice, if you are looking to stick wide tires on your car you will be wasting potential going this route because 240sx's have more available backspacing that S30's. That is to say you could add probably an inch to an inch and a half of positive offset to these wheels and fit them fine. Ideally these would probably be 17x9.5 +5 for you or something similar. Then to make up for the inch you slid in you would instead use a 10.5... so spec something around a 17x10.5 -6 or so. Once you find out your BS, I made this handy calculator... enjoy!

http://autolounge.net/calculators/tirespacing.html

Find out the size you ideally want (be meticulous), get your fellow 240sx'ers together and go in on a buy. That is what I advise. The contact for the representative is here:

kimcosmic@juno.com

If you just want me to do it all for you, this is possible, if you pay me (haha) but you will still need multiple people. You basically have to become the representative for Rota for about a year and a half. I have already done that much though, so maybe this time around it would be shorter, but I doubt it. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Great service so far, got a UPS email from Kim about 4 hours after sending him the cash via paypal, with all the tracking numbers, etc. Very promising. I went with RB-R's in Royal Gunmetal.

Made a list of some tire options earlier too, all trying to keep the diameter down while filling out the flares and giving the rims the tires they deserve.

245/40R17 = 24.7"

255/40R17 = 25.0"

275/40R17 = 25.7"

295/35R17 = 25.1"

The 295's seem a bit wide for a 9.5" wheel, so I will probably end up ordering 245/40R17 front, and 255/40R17 rear... still pondering the 295's. Has anyone else tried the 295/35R17?

Edited by Drax240z

[MODERATOR HAT]

Ok guys, I've taken this 35+ page thread down to 11 pages, and I am not quite done yet. I have tried to keep all relevant information in this thread, but mistakes may have been made. 893 of 1321 posts were deleted, it took just over 2 hours to read the entire thread and delete those posts...

For the remainder of this thread, anything that isn't factual, or photographical will be moderated upon. ;) If someone asks a question at this point that has been covered previously, it may also get squashed.

[/MODERATOR HAT]

Edited by Drax240z

• 3 weeks later...

i would like to know how thick the pad is on the 17x9.5 rims. the reason is i would need to have 10mm removed to lower the offset to -6 for them to fit my car properly. and even then it requires grinding to the inside of the fender flares. it is a 84 toyota supra p-type. another forum member has some centerline wheels in 17x9.5 -6 with 275/40/17 tires as i intend to run and even with the fender moded there is absolutly no room for the extra 10mm. it would rub when the suspension compresses. id prefere these over the 17x9 -13 for the rear for the extra lip so if anyone can measure that for me id greatly appreciate it. i want to insure this can be done SAFELY before i order wheels. thanks!

To match a 17x9.5 -6 you would have to ADD material to the current group by rim, not grind away more. The 9.5 wide is a 17x9.5 -19, so to reach -6 you would need about a 13mm spacer.

no, i thought it was -16. but to change from a -19 to a -6 i need to GRIND AWAY 13mm. if i added a 13mm spacer that would change the offset to -32 which pushes the wheel out further and does the exact opposite of what i need to do. a negative offset pushes the wheel out. positive brings it back in. i need to bring it in by adding positive offset to the rim. that can only be done by removing material.

no, i thought it was -16. but to change from a -19 to a -6 i need to GRIND AWAY 13mm. if i added a 13mm spacer that would change the offset to -32 which pushes the wheel out further and does the exact opposite of what i need to do. a negative offset pushes the wheel out. positive brings it back in. i need to bring it in by adding positive offset to the rim. that can only be done by removing material.

that is correct!! :icon14:

Now that I've thought about it, your right.

FWIW the RB had a lot more meat in the pototype stage than the RB-R because they just added mounting meat in order to gain the offset, we asked for them to add the space on the lip for the RB-R, and I don't think this was ever corrected for the RB, due to the fact they would have had to make a new mold.

There should be plenty of meat to get almost any offset on the RB if this where unchanged. Try to find someone who bought to RB's and ask them about it. Many people aren't following this thread anymore.

i understand that but some wheels require longer wheel studs then others so i didnt know if it would be feasable to do this or not. were talking a 1/2in basiclly. i may just go with them anyway and see if i can do a fender pull in the rear. idk. ill try it on my beater before i do it on 1 of my black mk2's incase it messes it up. its got rust anyway,. the other 2 supras dont.

This is entirely impossible IIRC on all versions of the RB or RB-R both prototype and production that I saw/specified/measured. It is true that the RB's had a pad maybe 2" thick or something similar, but the holes for the lug nuts were recessed into the pad so that the actual meat between the mounting surface and the bottom of the taper was probably around 5/16". You would need to grind off 13mm of material since it is a -19 offset. You would end up having four approximately 30mm diameter thru holes in your wheel.

Personally I wouldn't recommend shaving the back off almost any wheel I have seen since they typically all have around 5/16" of material between the taper and the mounting face. That is from my own experience though, I am sure in the past there have been wheels with much more material after the taper.

Sorry for the bad news, you might try starting a Supra group buy if you really have your heart set on these wheels, otherwise go custom or get your hubs redrilled. Lastly you can always flare the car... that is what everyone here is doing since these wheels won't fit our cars either unless we flare them...

well my car has flares stock. (wheels in pic are enkie 92 16x7 0 offset refinished by me)

e982.jpg

and yes this is MY car. looks like ill be going 17x8.5 +4 front and 17x9 -13 rear. the wheels i really want are hre 445r's, 18x8 front, 18x10 rear, 0 offset with matte charcoal centers and polished lip. expossed lugs and polished perimeter bolts. but at ~$4500/set without tires thats a LONG way off.

I was wondering if we'd get a report from you yasin. I was worried that on a lowered car that it might require some rolling. How'd you go about fixing clearance issues?

When we had them on my ZX with stock suspension parts, they stuck out a taste and then just tucked in nicely as the suspension traveled. We also never had the chance to try it on a ZX that was drivable, so we never got to really settle the suspension as much as we wanted so were unsure how it'd pan out.

At any rate I'm glad you got them working for you. Car looks great, as always, by the way.