HybridZ

Wheel Show! Post your pics of you wheels

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to get annoyed with the new XXR wheels. I've always been of the opinion that price begets quality and with as much as I will have invested in the Z, I was figuring that a set of CCW, work, or other premium brand wheels was in my future. Now I can get the look I want in a sweet offset and pay $600 for the set. That leaves me plenty of money to have them re-finished however I want. How do you justify the expense of premium wheels at that point? Especially for a street car that is getting wheels mostly for a little additional traction and look. No need for endurance race durability here.

I hate to say it but I may get the XXR's pretty shortly so that I can mock them up for fit when I modify the subframes.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the new XXR wheels. I've always been of the opinion that price begets quality and with as much as I will have invested in the Z, I was figuring that a set of CCW, work, or other premium brand wheels was in my future. Now I can get the look I want in a sweet offset and pay $600 for the set. That leaves me plenty of money to have them re-finished however I want. How do you justify the expense of premium wheels at that point? Especially for a street car that is getting wheels mostly for a little additional traction and look. No need for endurance race durability here.

I hate to say it but I may get the XXR's pretty shortly so that I can mock them up for fit when I modify the subframes.

I was going to order some CCW classics in 17" gold, but i just saw these. I would probably end up getting the platium chrome but they only go up to 16 and i dont see a 5/114.3 with 0 offset. Probably still end up with come ccw's but hell, bang for the buck...

XXR sometimes seems to start in with a certain size and then expand out with others so I wouldn't be at all surprised if those CCW imitations came out in a lot more sizes down the line. The demand for S13 and S14's in 5x114 will likely drive them to make a version in 17 and 18" diameters.

XXR sometimes seems to start in with a certain size and then expand out with others so I wouldn't be at all surprised if those CCW imitations came out in a lot more sizes down the line. The demand for S13 and S14's in 5x114 will likely drive them to make a version in 17 and 18" diameters.

What CCW imitations ??

I'd prefer them without, but honestly I don't really think it looks that bad. Many high quality wheels also run a dual pattern so I'm pretty sure its not going to be a strength issue. There's way more places stress will show up before it hits at the lug holes.

With a quality wheel i wouldn't worry about it, maybe with a lower quality would be a cause for slight concern. Less rotating weight is a good thing but again, if you are not road racing the gain would be nearly unnoticeable. But hey a pound or 2 is a pound or 2.

I like those XXR 531s, all my wheels have extra holes, and they've got me thingking-the price is great-I don't think I'm thread-jacking. Does 4.5 backspacing match with zero offset? I have some 81 280ZXT 15" swashticas and I just measured the backspacing and it is 4". I'm of the impression that the ZXT wheel were zero offset (?). Then 7" zero offset should have 4.5 backspacing, and 8" zero offset should have 5", right? If my assumptions are right (and I'm asking for advice here), these are going to need some flares or at least a rolled fender. 15X7 is pretty forgiving, but 15X8 seems like a tough fit. I really like these wheels...I'd be running 225/50/15s and have no interest in going bigger. Any advice? PM me if you want to go off this thread.

For a daily driver, it's got more to do with looks. I doubt the extra holes would ever be a problem on the street. The extra holes look lame. Why pay for lame looks?

My 240z is a dedicated track car. I doubt if the extra holes would lighten the wheels enough to matter. It just seems to me that I would be better off without the unnecessary holes. I'm not in a position to do a scientific experiment on Wheel vs Wheel. I'll spend the extra money on what seems to be a better choice. The better wheel can fail too. Let's hope it's not as often.

I would never put a set og fake wheels on my nearly complete newly built 280z. I bought a set of Rota RBR's, and now they're sold because I found out that they were watanabe knockoffs and therefore I didnt want to put them on my car. Live in Norway, and I had never heard of watanbe before I purchased them.

Why would you by a set of cheap fake wheels to destroy the apperance of the car? Anyone with a little knowledge would know they're cheap knockoffs. If you dont have the cash, get a cheap set that isnt clearly a fake or get some used classic wheels.

I ordered a set of CCW classics and they will be on my door in 3 weeks. Cant wait to have a set of legit wheels;)

Fake vs. Real blah blah blah some people like them, some people don't see the real problem (especially if they don't pretend they're real). Some people think the extra bolt holes look lame, some people don't mind them at all.

(Also, aren't Rota RBs copies of Panasports?)

Can we see more pictures of wheels on cars?

Edited by mal_tiempo