HybridZ

How much did you get your Z for?

Guest Stoggs

'80 280ZX - bought in 1985 for $8500 put into a tree by a "friend" in '89

'82 280ZX - bought in 1989 for $6500 rusting away as we speak...

'82 280ZX - bought in 2004 - paid more money than I care to reveal - getting a complete ground up, bare metal restoration

09.front.jpg

'72 240Z - traded for $500 worth of network gear in 2005 - SCCA ITS track day beater

33.jpg

'72 240Z - bought in 2006 for $550 - rolling chassis waiting for an LS7 swap

'83 280ZX - bought in 2006 for $350 - running parts car turned into 24hrs of LeMons competitor

'72 240Z - free in 2007 - someone else's abandoned restoration - getting an RB swap as we speak

cage-04.jpg

Random picture of me and John Morton!

JohnMorton-200608_MontereyHistorics-cropped.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sleepy-z

75 280z was $3800.

Probably paid to much but it looks exactly as it did when I bought it in the sig minus the wheels and ran like a champ with the #'s matching engine to the vin which I kinda like.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I paid 2500.00 for my 1973 240 and it was in perfect shape. But that was in 1981 so adjusted for inflation that's about $6000.00 . Now it's a basket case and not worth a plug nickel but it's on it's way back up again!

Derek

$2600 for my first '77 280Z six years ago - 132K miles clean, rebuilt eng. which my sone totalled (we salvaged the engine trans seats, and new dash).

$1100 for my second '77 280Z three years ago - high miles, cracked paint, bad seats (donor car for the parts from the original Z - now getting a V8)

$1800 at an estate sale for my fully restored '72 240Z 2 years ago with 97k documented miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 99 I got a phone call from a buddy that knows I'm into Z's. He asks if I am interested in buying one, before I say a word I hear the guy in the background saying.. "tell him it's got new brakes and clutch and yada yada..." I laugh and say.. yeah, ask him how the frame is.. I hear "it's mint" Yeah right it is I think to myself, not in this part of the country. Anyway we are all out one day and decide to go take a look at it just for kicks. Damn, sure enough the undercarriage is in very good shape, quite a find. Still in need of some body work however and it does not run, interior full of misc. parts and junk.

So I say to the kid who owns it.. well you got a decent project car here, but unfortunatly I'm not really interested as I already have a 280zx project. He only wanted $600 for it but I also told him he would have to find the right buyer as it is a bit of a basket case needing who knows what to be able to pass a safety inpection to get the car registered for the road. I wished him luck and said have a nice day..

I got a call a couple weeks later from him.. he asked me if I would by it. I said no, not interested. Then he says, look I don't have money for rent and I really need cash, if I gave it to you for $300 would you take it?

I was like.. ?? for $300... yeah I suppose I would. Brought the car home and found the car was in actually alot better shape then I had ever guessed. The interior was actually really good, it had brand new brake parts for the car still in the package, under all the junk. I replaced the fuel pump and the engine ran good. Bought a couple of new fenders from Victoria and the rocker repaired and painted her up.

My first: 1992 stationed on Guam, 1979 280ZX brown and gold smashed on the driver's side for $500, ran like a champ. It hooked me on Zs. Repaired the dent with a junkyard door that was not so great either so we weld the old do bottom to the junkyard door top to make a good door. Pulled the dent in the back in front of the back tire and filled it with fiberglass and bondo. Painted the car and sold it for $2500

My second Z I bought when I returned to San Diego in December 93, it was a Maroon 78 with 276K miles, I got for $1400. I drove it for another 110K miles, then I parked when I moved back to Guam in 1998 and recovered it from various storage location in 2005. I parked in the driveway from 2005 to late 2007...gave it to my nieghbor.

My third Z is a 1973 I paid too much for $6K, it had 98,000 miles but is an automatic. I bought for my daughter...she wanted it but hates because it does not have power steering. So now it sits in the driveway, I am mad it because some punks ripped the up the lock area on the passenger side to get at the $75 stereo. Now it has the old 78Z' place in the driveway...been there since September. Might sell it to buy a 72 with a 383.

My latest is a late 71 that is being torn down to be made into a Japanese style street racer with Works over fenders, G-nose, 16' Panasports, Arizona Z suspension parts, 3.1 stroker etc....should be sweet when finished in a year or so. Will not be sold.

$500 in 95- 77 280Z ran but needed lots of TLC

$200 in 98- 76 280Z 2+2 wrecked, I needed the motor

$1500 in 01- early 74 260Z 305/JTR conversion (my car)

$300 in 04- early 74 260Z had conversion started,L-88 hood

free in 04 79 280ZX- no title, parted out and gone

They just seem to breed.