HybridZ

How much did you get your Z for?

Guest Stoggs

Free from my father (He doesn't remember what he paid for it, a few grand back in the late 70's). Hadn't run since the week I was born, got it running when I was 15, dad gave it to me 'cause I did 90% of the work on it and loved it so much.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much you pay for the car is not the only consideration, but more importantly how much to bring it to where you want. In other words if you pick up a rust bucket for $50 vs. a straight car with good paint for $4000 the $4K car might have been a better deal. Also, depends on how good your skills are and how much parts are.

I bought mine in 1989. '76 280Z with 69K miles, little or no rust, dealer maintained (Bob Sharp Nissan), $3500 in New York City, all original except radio, and nice budget paint job.

Since then...I havent really done much to it, except...totally changed...brakes, suspension, transmission, engine, wheels, bumpers, paint ..... a few times each that's all. :wink:

Crappy '73 240 with header, some racing cam, twin SU carbs, fiberglass front cap, bondo everywhere, paid $200.00, sold after high school , 1989.

1990, o.k. condition '73 240, mostly stock, drove the crap out of it until sold in 1992. I paid $800.00 for it.

1993, '75 280, $500.00, stock, but in fair shape. Slowly worked on it for the next few years, adding a built 350V8, trans etc. Then in 1999, I had the Z stored at my Mother's place, we had a major falling out, (one of many), and she had the car towed to a salvage yard, complete with V8 and all the go-fast stuff I had saved up. I was jobless and broke at the time and could not afford to get the car back. Yes, I lost it! This is one of the many, many, reasons I still don't talk to her to this day, but that is another story.

1998, '72 240, paid $1,800, stock, in pretty good shape. Bought it to install V8 from the above mentioned '75 280. When I lost the '75, the '72 just sat until 2001, when I gave it to my step-dad, who had divorced my "challenged" mother, (I'm being nice)! He and I tinkered with it now and then installing a 4.3 V6/700R4 trans. Then I move to Denver from Louisiana where the Z is in late 2003. He has since remarried and lost interest in the Z, and says I can have it back. One problem, I am unable to go get until at least early/mid spring. Anyway, that is my Z story.

I got my `73 for $1600 from my best friend in Feb 06.It was in running condition, but not driven since 1986.

I spent over $14K as of October 06

Here`s before pictures:

before-1.jpg

engine.jpg

Here`s how it looks like now:

01.jpg

05.jpg

03.jpg

Turk240z.jpg

She`s worth every penny!..

All I need now is the BRE or 432 wing and the JDM old school headlight covers.

ERIC

I just got my 1971 240z about a month ago for $5000. It's awesome! It's got a pretty new L28 motor w/ 5-speed tranny, plus the whole car was stripped down about 6 years ago, any rust found was patched up, and the entire body was painted. So it's in excellent body shape with a big dent in front, and for the most part mechanically sound. I think I got a good deal because anything that needs fixing isn't more than a couple hundred.

Heres a pic:img5560tz1.jpg

Guest Stoggs

Man, those before and after pictures are awsome! Hopefully I'll be able to add my purchase price sometime soon...

Lucky Californians, with your rustless Z's... :icon8:

Motorhead! I love the red and black! I was going to do a two-tone with red on the top half and black on the bottom half.

like this rattlecan/rustoleum job I had but with gloss black and the red shined up a bit...

w39035179.bmp

Now the whole car is getting done in gloss black.

This pic is right after installing coilovers/illuminas/diamond racing wheels...

I always wanted a 5speed Coupe ZX Turbo.

I actually found one through a good friend, belonged to a wealthy banker and had been sitting very neglected in an alley in Denver.

I bought it in March 2001, creeping up on 6years. I paid $2750 for it.

Looked like this when I bought it:

218001224.jpg

and now..don't ask how much I have spent (and its not over!)

86310554.jpg

Yasin

Mine initially cost me $1000. I sold much of the project parts with it and actually made money in the end on buying it... Think I came out about $600 ahead.

five years later, I think I've got about $18,000 in it.

Mike