HybridZ

Why did you decide to stay with the Datsun L6 motor?

logan1

It was to keep the old school roots of the car.

The sound of the L engine with the Triple is also unique.

It also help to keep the value of the car high - in Europe a swapped classic car is not welcomed very well (moreover it's illegal)

The only deviation is my L engine is a L28 instead of a L24, since they look similar it is fine (but still illegal ;) )

Modifications of the motor are almost all within FIA rules (except maybe the ignition) which makes my car elligible for historical events such as Monte Carlo historic and other classic rallies.

Edited by Lazeum

Call it nostalgia, or my inner purist, but ever since I got into Zs I've natully been more interested in ones that retained the L6. Sure there are better engines in every aspect, and some very well executed swaps, but you can't argue with these examples. These are some of the cars I draw inspiration from, and hope to someday match in terms of quality, power and beauty;

IMG_4628.jpg

I would take this car over any swapped car anyday...

Link: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/06/30/car-spotlight-gt-gt-pike-s-peak-datsun-240z.aspx

TomitakuS30-07.jpg

sccp_0811_03_z_1971_datsun_240z_l28_inline_six.jpg

Pearl2Medium.jpg Look familiar anyone...?

I stuck with the L6 (2.8L) in the 240Z because it simply looks right in the car, sounds good with triples, and is easy to work on. I upgraded to slightly more modern electronics (Pertronix and MSD). I used a vintage 'Filter King' regulator / filter and like how it's working out. I put perhaps $3K into the motor if you include the rebuild, triples, and head work. I've yet to put it on the dyno. Simply driving it around, it's plenty fast for me and a great set-up with the 5 speed and 3.9 R180 LSD which came from a STi.

post-1627-070412500 1295888474_thumb.jpg

post-1627-054756300 1295888497_thumb.jpg

For me, the racing class rules required the stock block and heads that came in the car.

It appears some did it in the past with official races making the L28 now elligible (at least in Europe) but don't quote me on this one. Since I've never tried by myself but all FIA Gr IV class Z have L28 in them (strokers however are not allowed) - They compete against Porsche 911 2.8 RSR.

Ive got the best of both IMO

74 260Z with an RB25DET

71 240Z with an L24

I love both of them.

Im pretty close to done playing around with my RB project. I plan on changing the valve stem seals and going with a Cometic head gasket and thats about it for the near future.

The L24 is a build in the works. It currently runs as stock. I expect to spend about the same on building the L24 as I did on swapping the whole RB in. I would expect the cars to be head to head on the track when I am finished. Of course with little more effort I can get much more power out of the RB which is pretty close to stock now.

I am continuing with the L24 because I already have the engine(vs buying a L28 or what have you), The block and head came with the car from the factory(never plan to sell it but its cool in my book despite not being original), for the same cost as the RB swap itself I am modify the L to keep up with my mostly stock RB 260z(only need to get within 50-60hp of the RB260z with a 240Z to stay in the same lap time according to my math), and going 2 years without an L series Z has left me missing the feel and sound of the classic L. The RB has a distinct sound that can easily be distinguished from the L. Even with SU carbs the L makes cool intake sounds as you whined it out. Triple carbs enhance the sound even more. Combine that with a crisp classic L exhaust on a naturally aspirated engine and it gets your adrenaline going every time. The only other engines that come close IMO are the BMW inlines and they still have their own notes.

Before I acquired my car, I was heavily leaning toward a SBC swap and building a 383 for it. Time, budget and most of all workspace constraints (rented room, 1/2 of a 2 car garage) ended that line of thinking pretty quick. When I fired up the 2.4L inline six for the first time (it had been sitting a couple years) I felt a sense of accomplishment. When I first got the car drivable I was actually quite impressed with the "peppiness" of the little motor. When I swapped my first head gasket I started to see the brilliance of the design for that time period. It grew on me until later I swapped in an L28 that I rebuilt on my side of the garage floor. The car is perfectly adequate for what I do with it and I enjoy explaining it to others.

I'm in the same boat now with my 510, always wanted an SR, but budget says I'm staying stock L16 for now. Last week I got the motor fired up after 20 years sitting. Who knows where this will wind up.

Edited by blue72

It appears some did it in the past with official races making the L28 now elligible (at least in Europe) but don't quote me on this one. Since I've never tried by myself but all FIA Gr IV class Z have L28 in them (strokers however are not allowed) - They compete against Porsche 911 2.8 RSR.

FIA Appendix for 1975 Homogolated the L28 and it's EFI for racing. Most prep to this specification as the rules make the competition pretty stiff after that year.

Prepping to FIA 1975, there were several 240Z's at Spa this year for the 6 Hours Historic that were lapping as fast as, or faster than the Shelby 350's running! Though I still have questions as why Miroux from Belgium was conspicuously absent this year... I know they had a stroker, there is NO WAY that car was an L24 (they contended it was, with an F54 block, yeah RIIIIGHT Jean-Claude!) and 'in every way legal'---but no L28 runs into Eau Rouge with that intake-exhaust note. My bet was 3.0 or 3.1 minimum. Perhaps the Scrutineers did a teardown?

I digress...

Oh, and I'm in the same boat as John C for the RACE car (not the street car)---we are not allowed an 'engine swap'---now if we ran like Burton Brown does in the 7770 Car (F/GT) then 'swaps' are allowed and an RB25 headed RB30 would be in there before you could say BOO! :D

Stayed/staying with the Datsun L6 - like others have said, because it's what I've got. :) And if I can get a reliable 200whp from an moderately priced build, and spread that out over a year or two while still daily driving the car, that's a BIG win for me.

I wish I had the opportunity & inclination (ability?) to use an extra couple hundred whp, but the fact is, I don't.

What other engine could look this good by just using it's stock bits?????

Yes it's old and yesterdays technology, but it still is a remarkable machine in every aspect.

Kind of like this old kawasaki 1000LTD I redid, there wasn't hardly a bike out there that had a better combination when it came to looks and sound. The engine was just gorgeous with all of that curvy aluminum.

post-1083-066534500 1296010790_thumb.jpg

post-1083-006392000 1296010819_thumb.jpg

post-1083-056082100 1296010831_thumb.jpg

What other engine could look this good by just using it's stock bits?????

Yes it's old and yesterdays technology, but it still is a remarkable machine in every aspect.

Kind of like this old kawasaki 1000LTD I redid, there wasn't hardly a bike out there that had a better combination when it came to looks and sound. The engine was just gorgeous with all of that curvy aluminum.

Nice L Series mate!

Your bike reminds me of what the Goose was riding in Mad Max (The first Road Warrior). Awesome!!

The "L" has always served me well. And my garage is so full of bits and pieces now, I could be building new engine configrations for years! Stroker, Turbo, Long rod L28 and an L20A cranked L28. AND a 'secret' project using some L20B bits and pieces and a deck plate and... B) Someone buy me a lottery ticket...I'll share, I promise. :lol:

But apart from all that, my plain old L28 is a great piece....I love it. :)

I started a swap to a SHO engine but after fighting with the wrecking yard that I made a deal for all of my parts list for a set price, they could not get the T5 tranny, I returned the engine and got my money back. So decided to stay with the L6 with a wet supercharger. Went to buy a 5 speed from a guy and was offered a set of 45mm SK racing carbs for $100 so started looking at dry forced induction with a supercharger. Just got burned out on the project and have a deal to sell my Z so another project never finished.

$$$ :blink: Yeah the build has cost me a few but mounting brackets for the RB swap was way to expensive. I wanted to stay Nissan, but i was considering the 2jze, or the LS1, so i know what your going through. The way i made my decision, was my L28 just seemed to drop in my lap. Before i even could try to find any othe motor this one just came to me.

I've always been a hot rod guy. Prior to my zx I'd been around way more chevys, mopars, fords then any import. Of course upon purchase of the first z the plan was to swap in the old 30k mile seasoned small block that was in the garage. Since it was my daily driver it saw alot of road miles before the swap came to fruition, and with that comes maintenence. As I worked on and tuned the car (intake, exhaust, ignition, AFM) I realized that she had alot of character with that little engine in there. It wasn't long after I first pulled the valve cover to adjust those darn lifters that I sent that 350 packin'. So I guess it grew on me.