HybridZ

Why did you decide to stay with the Datsun L6 motor?

logan1

i am at that point in my build that i need to make a choice as to whether i want to stay with the L6 or go down the beaten path of the 350 SBC or even an LS1/LS2. The only reason i want to stay with the L6 is because of the sound of the motor. While the sbc sounds like your garden variety truck; the L6 have a very distinctive race car sound. As far as i can make out all the other advantages go to the SBC; be it cost, power, availably of parts, aftermarket support, better weight distribution, reliability....etc etc etc.

While i was pondering the best course of action for my car; i got curious as to what drove the rest of you guys to chose the L6 over the other engines and hence the question:

well, the first build I did I did stay with the l6.. it was Very impressive. lots of torque... But now, I'm going with the sr. for the facts of easier to get parts stays nissan, I got an amazing deal on the swap. And its freaking light!!!!!!!!! But I would stay with the l over a v-8 but thats like you said sounds like a truck.. My l28 after the rebuild sounded unexplainable.. It sounded sooooo clean. it was amazing, under boost (24 psi) it sounded like a freight train!!!!!! That was coined by my copilot, the pull of it and the amazing sound.... but what made me go with it in the first place was the idea of more even power..... But when compaired to a 383 small block chevy running 500 hp for under 2000 its kinda a crap shoot.....

• Administrators

The only reason i want to stay with the L6 is because of the sound of the motor.

There are plenty of other straight-six choices... Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, and more. They can all sound 'the same' and most of them make gobs more power (stock for stock).

If this is too far off topic for you, let me know and I'll delete my comments.

I'm in the same boat, the sound this thing makes coupled with an upgraded turbo is just delicious. It's almost as charismatic as the car itself.

That isn't to say if a great deal fell into my hands I wouldn't upgrade to a more modern engine. That being said, the main engine I would look into upgrading to is an RB26 or RB30 just to be a straight-6 stickler, otherwise for the price, I am very happy with my L.

If I was wealthy though, I would undoubtedly explore different engines.

Edited by LoneStarS30Z

I stuck with it at the time for the sound, the looks and the simplicity. For a first time motor swap and the similarity of the wiring, it seemed like the best choice. However I've since discovered other more modern motors that can more easily reach my power/reliability goals for less cash and modification. I'm sticking with my L6 for now simply because of the time/money invested, but am looking into other options for the future.

I always thought a hot inline 6 was cool. B) It is easier and cheaper to make more power with a V8 but what fun would that be? Everybody does that... I never thought I could make a NA Z engine as fast or sound as cool as mine does! It is intoxicating. I usually turn the radio down just hear it! :wub: Plus it's a little bit old school nostalgia.

I watched them in the 10 second 1/4 mile range normally aspirated, and in single digits in turbcharged doorslammer trim in 1986 and figured 'thats more than I will need for my street car' and went from there.

I ended with results very similar to Bernard above and that was good enough for me in a sub 2600# car that handles well.

Edited by Tony D

I chose the RB26 not because of money perspective but because of the sound of the RB and the legend behind this engine. I have nothing against my old L28 but i wanted an RB for so long so times whe ni pay the bills of this build i tell myself that an L28 with that much invested would have been a crazy engine but im sticking to my guns and I love the RB its like the son of the L28 in a way. Its can make a good 450hp (my goal) easily and i wont really worry as much as when i had the L28 even if it was in perfect order but one day i blew a head gasket and i never found the reason why.

My 2 cents

The reason I am sticking with the L6 is because it has become sort of the norm to just swap in a V8 etc. and I like the challenge of making due with the L6 and I guess it could be a bit of a Nostalgia thing. I love the rough old sound of the Datsun L6 as opposed to the more smooth refined sound of newer L6's. If I wanted more power and speed I would buy a newer faster car, I like the Datsun because of its character plus it can make the amount of power I'm happy with, It sounds pretty sweet and has a decent aftermarket. I don't really have fabbing skills or a welder to be able to put in a newer L6. :D

Edited by 19762802+2

I also want to add that the L motor has a nice user friendly upgrade path. It can be upgraded slowly and steadily while being driven. You can ramp up to your HP goals, with manageable investments, in both time and labor, timed to your convenient intervals, all while you enjoy and drive the car reliably.

Edited by cygnusx1

I decided to stick with it for a couple reasons. 1.) When I got my ZX it had a fresh rebuild with only 10k on it. 2.) Its a Z car it came with the L motor and unless this motor totally craps out on me then it will stay with it. I don't want or need anything crazy although I have seen some pretty sick Z cars with L's in them. I am just getting started with my build of this car so who knows maybe I will change my mind but for now Im goin L28 all the way. (Well maybe a turbo later, only time will tell)